October 22, 2008

Crippled CouchSurfer: Day 3
Apoldu de Sus, Romania

Nearly 60 hours after the incident and I'm still confined to bed, or limited to crawling around the house on my hands and knees. Recovery is taking much longer than expected, and I'm really beginning to wonder how long it'll be before I can walk, let alone travel with a pair of weighty packs on my front and back.

Today's big accomplishment came late this evening, when I was able to generally stand up unaided for about 30 seconds. Though relatively painful, it felt good to undress in a normal fashion. I can still only manage to drag myself down the flight of stairs to the ground level to use the bathroom but once or twice a day.

Stephan told me over a game of backgammon tonight that a doctor was swinging through town tomorrow (this being one of the five villages that he tends to once or twice a week). Although he's unsure the price for a consultation (it stands as good a chance that it might be free in these parts as it would excessive) he offered to drive me to see him in the morning if I wanted.

Frankly, I think it'll be a waste of time, and a lot of unneeded pain on everyone's part. It'd take my arms around both Tatiana and Stephan to get me out of the house, and without an x-ray or a visit to a podiatrist, I'm unsure as to what the painful tenderness in my feet would reveal to such a general practitioner. I'll probably just end up being told to stay off my feet or visit someone else. You can't put a cast on something like this—it need not be immobilized—if there's damage to the heel bone it may or may not warrant surgery, but certainly needs time to heal.

Short of an x-ray, I don't think I'll ever know just how badly I hurt myself. We'll see how I feel in the morning. I could certainly do with some crutches.


South Africa


December 31st, 2008

Sjeesj - my best wishes to you, Craig. I once bruised and cracked both my heels similar to what you've just done… It was probably the most painfull experience I've lived through. Had to crawl about 2km back home at the time. I was only 10 - 12 years old at the time, and it literally took years for the sensitivity to completely go away. In your case, I would have it checked out anyway by the local GP. Can't lose anything.

Get well soon!

The United States


December 31st, 2008

i had a (what I assume was) similar injury a few years ago while playing soccer. I went up for a ball and collided with another player and then came down awkwardly directly on my right heel (all my weight, I am 6'4, 225 lbs). The amount of pain that immediately went through my foot directly up to my head can only be described as feeling like I was hit by a bullet. I immediately collapsed and was convinced I had broken or shattered my heel. Tears were coming out of my eyes, the pain was excruciating. To top it off, I had to bike home almost 3 miles (obviously with one foot) from the game.

Needless to say, I went to the hospital to get xrays, the doctor who examined me was also convinced it was broken considering the swelling and bruising (my ankle and heel looked like a fat grandmothers). Getting to the point, nothing was broken, just a severe bone bruise. The Doc said it is sometimes worse than a break/fracture because it can take forever to heal. I still to this day (almost 3 1/2 years later) feel a little tenderness on it when I walk on it funny. Maybe it's just remembered pain. I don't think i've ever felt something so terrible.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Good to know you have someone there who cares about you.

Note: Comments are open to everyone. To reduce spam and reward regular contributors, only submissions from first-time commenters and/or those containing hyperlinks are moderated, and will appear after approval. Hateful or off-topic remarks are subject to pruning. Your e-mail address will never be publicly disclosed or abused.